University of Basel

VIF | Visualizing Family, Gender Relations and the Body. The Balkans approx. 1860-1950

The "Saint Georgius" church

The "Saint Georgius" church, © Institute for Ethnology and Folklore Studies with Ethnographic Museum - AEIM, BASenlarge

Description

Print versionTEI version» next entryoverview
Object:The "Saint Georgius" church
Description:Photograph of an Orthodox church. A man in an Orthodox priest garb is standing in front of a board fence. In the background silhouettes of a woman with copper can be seen. Hand-written date and inscriptions in Bulgarian and French: "L'église St. Georges à Panaguiourichte. / Département de Tat. Bazardjik."
Comment:The "Saint Georgius" church built in 1856, was burnt down in 1876 and restored 1878 - 1880. Since 1901, it became a place of state commemoration of the Bulgarian Anti-Ottoman April Uprising of 1876.
Date:1892
Location:Panagyuriste
Country:Bulgaria
Type:Photograph
Creator:Karastoyanov, Ivan Anastasov, (Court photographer)
Dimensions:Artefact: 317mm x 379mm
Image: 191mm x 246mm
Format:Not specified
Technique:Not specified
Keywords:340 Structures > 346 Religious and Educational Structures
660 Political Behavior > 669 Revolution
650 Government Activities > 659 Miscellaneous Government Activities
Copyright:Институт за етнология и фолклористика с Етнографски музей - АЕИМ, БАН
Archive:Institute for Ethnology and Folklore Studies with Ethnographic Museum - AEIM, BAS, Inv. No.: VIII 283
License:This picture is licensed under Creative Commons [CC BY-NC-ND 3.0]
Editor:Anelia Kassabova
Permalink:https://gams.uni-graz.at/o:vase.787