Cultural and Scientific Heritage of Styria

Collections

University of Graz
Main building

University of Graz

The second oldest university in Austria was founded in 1585 by Archduke Charles II of Inner Austria, initially with just two faculties, those of philosophy and theology in a Jesuit college; in 1778, the faculty of law was established. After the college had been turned into a lyceum, Emperor Francis I re-established the institution as Karl Franzens University in 1827, to which a faculty of medicine was added in 1863. Today’s campus dates back to 1870.

The flourishing academic life was severely damaged in 1938, when numerous teachers, amongst them Nobel laureates Otto Loewi, Viktor Hess and Erwin Schrödinger, as well as around a third of the students were expelled by the Nazis. From the 1960s onwards, the number of students steadily increased. After the Faculty of Medicine became independent in 2004, a sixth faculty of Environmental and Regional Sciences and Education (URBI) was created in 2007.

Since the early modern age, especially since the 19th century, the university has been systematically collecting for scientific purposes. The university holds over 27 different collections ranging from archaeological artefacts to historical scientific equipment. Recently, there have been increased efforts to inventory, digitize, and publish these holdings; the present web portal attempts to unite these collections together with other holdings in a virtual world.


Alexander Rollett Edition of Letters

This project by the Center of the History of Science provides a digital edition of the correspondence between Alexander and Emil Rollett and letters from the scientific community to Alexander Rollett, the first holder of the chair of physiology and histology of the Medical Faculty at the University of Graz, established in 1863.

Show all entries

Contact: Walter Höflechner
walter.hoeflechner@uni-graz.at


Archaeological Collections

Collection of plaster replicas
Collection of plaster replicas

The archaeological collections were founded in 1865; they have been presented in the main building of the university since 1894. They are assigned to the Institute of Archaeology. The collection of plaster replicas of ancient sculptures as well as parts of the collection of originals are open to the public and integrated into the education of students. The collection of plaster replicas (“Gipsmuseum”) contains 450 copies of ancient monuments; some 150 statues, heads and reliefs are exhibited. The main focus lies on classical sculpture between archaic and Hellenistic art. The collection of originals comprises more than 2000 objects of quite different origin and date; centerpieces are Greek vases from the geometrical to the late classical period.

Show all entries
Show virtual tour (German)

Contact: Manfred Lehner
manfred.lehner@uni-graz.at


Coin Collection

Heraclius (610-641); Constantinopolis; 639 - 641; Solidus; MIB III 50
Heraclius (610-641); Constantinopolis; 639 - 641; Solidus; MIB III 50

The coin collection of the Institute of Ancient History and Classical Antiquities consists of nearly 4,000 ancient coins. As well as pieces from ancient Greek, there are also Hellenistic and Celtic coins or objects from the Migration Period and Byzantium. The majority of the collection items originate from the Roman period.

Show all entries

Contact: Ursula Schachinger
ursula.schachinger@uni-graz.at


Collection of Seals

Seal of Rudolf IV., Duke of Austria
Seal of Rudolf IV., Duke of Austria

The Collection of Seals of the Institute of History was established for students to study sigillography with the former professor of medieval history and ancillary sciences of history Friedrich Hausmann (1917-2009) in the 1960s. The collection consists of a total of 281 seals from the 9th to the 20th century and is constantly expanding. Alongside some originals, there are mostly wax and plaster casts.

Show all entries

Contact: Günther Bernhard
guenther.bernhard@uni-graz.at


Epigraphical Collection

Squeeze EPSG 82, sacred inscription
Squeeze EPSG 82, sacred inscription

The Institute of Ancient History and Classical Antiquities hosts a collection of about 1000 squeezes of Latin and Greek inscriptions. They were probably made around 1900, but their origin can only be guessed. The Greek squeezes originate mainly from inscriptions from Athens, Olympia, Greek islands and Rome, dating from the 6th century BC to the 4th century AD. The Latin ones originate from imperial inscriptions from Rome, Italy and the Eastern European region.

Show all entries

Contact: Peter Mauritsch
peter.mauritsch@uni-graz.at


Founding Charter and Insignia

The electronic publication contains the founding charter (dated 1585), the insignia of the University, the imperial (1586) and the papal confirmation (1585), as well as the act to reestablish the institution as Karl Franzens University in 1827. Scientific research on the charters of the University of Graz was published only recently. Classical philologists translated the text into German and English and historians answered specific research questions about the charter and the history of the University. Essential content was also translated into Slovenian, Croatian, Hungarian, Czech and Romani.

Show all entries

Contact: Alois Kernbauer
alois.kernbauer@uni-graz.at


Hans Gross Museum of Criminology

Poacher's mask, KM-O.460
Poacher's mask, KM-O.460

In 1895, Hans Gross set up a collection consisting of ”corpora deliciti” which was founded as ”Criminal-Museum am Landesgericht für Strafsachen” in Graz and moved to the University of Graz in 1913, where it is one of the collections of the University Museums. In 2014, the objects at ”Hans Gross Kriminalmuseum” were moved from the main building to an external storage area for reasons of conservation, where they are stored in accordance with current preservation standards. In the context of the HRSM project ”Repositorium steirisches Wissenschaftserbe”, the objects of the Hans Gross Criminal Museum were inventoried and digitally recorded according to modern museological viewpoints for the first time.

Show all entries
Show virtual tour (German)

Contact: University Museums, Nikolaus Reisinger
nikolaus.reisinger@uni-graz.at


Hugo Schuchardt Archive - Network of Knowledge

The Hugo Schuchardt Archive of the Institute of Linguistics provides the complete published works of the eminent linguist and Romance philologist Hugo Schuchardt. A central aim is to explain how this work developed in an individual, societal and institutional context. A media-oriented approach is considered to be constitutive for the history of science of the 19th century. At the center of the collection are a critically commented edition of scientific correspondence (several thousand letters), collected linguistic notes and language material, manuscripts, etc. Emphasis is also placed on the formation of a scientific linguistic discourse and the resulting process of professionalization and institutionalization of the philological disciplines. A thesaurus-oriented search system allows for the (re-)construction of networks responsible for the process of obtaining knowledge. All materials are given in their language of origin (over tow dozens languages).

Show all entries

Contact: Bernhard Hurch
bernhard.hurch@uni-graz.at


Meringer Collection

Ceramic whistles
Ceramic whistles

The Meringer collection of the Institute of European Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology is a collection of historic objects named after its founder and owner Rudolf Meringer, who taught Sanskrit and comparative philology at the University of Graz in the early 20th century. After his death Viktor Geramb acquired the collection of around 200 objects for the Department of Folklore and Cultural Anthropology in 1931. The inventory includes (tiled) stoves, cookers, oven equipment and objects for textile processing. Most of the collection was compiled by Meringer between 1900-1930 and compiled by Meringer on his many journeys to Eastern Austria and the Balkans.

Show all entries
Show virtual tour (German)

Contact: Burkhard Pöttler
burkhard.poettler@uni-graz.at


Register Book of Styria

The online publication of the Register Book of Styria is comprised of 164 texts. It is a new edition of the legally relevant medieval documents (charters) up to 1192. In this period Styria was not yet united in personal union to Austria. The scientific work was done by Friedrich Hausmann on behalf of the Historical State Commission for Styria in cooperation with the Institute of History.

Show all entries

Contact: Historical State Commission for Styria
office@hlkstmk.at


Special Collections of the University Library

The Special Collection Department at Graz University Library is responsible for a quarter of a million old and rare books. The books and documents were largely accumulated thanks to the collecting activities of the Jesuits (1585 – 1773) as well as due to the dissolution of monasteries in the late 18th century, which led to the libraries of St Lambrecht, Seckau, Seitz, Stainz, Pettau, Neuberg and others being brought to Graz. Particularly noteworthy is our collection of more than 2,100 medieval and early modern manuscripts, 1,000 early prints up to the year 1501 (incunabulas), approximately 13,500 prints dating from the 16th century, maps as well as bequests from writers and scholars. In addition to these collections, there is a comprehensive academic reference library of around 25,000 volumes and a collection of more than 500 facsimile manuscripts from 250 libraries from all over the world. Furthermore, the Special Collection Department has had a workshop for book restoration since 1986 and a digitization center since 1997. In 2009, VESTIGIA (lat. ”traces”), the Centre for the Study of Printed and Written Heritage, became affiliated to the Special Collection Department. Contributions to this portal include the medieval manuscripts from the Seckau monastery/Styria and the corpus of handwritten dissertations from the university.

Show all entries

Contact: Erich Renhart
erich.renhart@uni-graz.at


University Archive

Most of the records from the period 1585-1773, when the Order of the Jesuits ran the university, are lost, but the records from 1778 onwards, when the archive was re-founded, are nearly complete. Since 1965, the restructured archive has also served as a center for research into the history of science and humanities and into the history of universities. The curriculum of 1872 stipulated that students must write a thesis to receive their PhD at the philosophical faculty, which covered science, social sciences and humanities. Starting in this year, files were compiled of every candidate including his or her curriculum vitae and the relevant reports from professors. All this information is of great value for opening up a window onto the process of research and its methodology as well as into the social history of the university and its students. Every doctoral file is linked to the mostly hand-written theses which are stored at the library.

Show all entries

Contact: Alois Kernbauer
alois.kernbauer@uni-graz.at

University of Music and Performing Arts Graz

With more than 2,400 students in Graz and Oberschützen, the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz – the KUG – is an internationally renowned place of education. With 17 institutes, 2 doctoral schools and a center for gender studies, it offers high-quality training as well as research and development, and exploration of the arts. The university is located in the heart of Europe and combines the Austrian tradition of music and the performing arts with a pioneering contemporary positioning.


University Library of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz

Musical scores from the Hüttenbrenner bequest
Musical scores from the Hüttenbrenner bequest

With a current library stock of some 300,000 “traditional” information carriers (books, printed music, audiovisual media, manuscripts, early printings) and approx. 1,100,000 electronic resources (eCDs, eBooks, eScores, eJournals, etc.) the Library of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz is the largest university library of all universities of the arts in Austria. The collections of rare books and special items comprise some 20,000 precious works including the estates of Styrian composers, music autographs, manuscripts of music, letters, first and early prints of music (17th – 19th century), musica theoretica before 1900, facsimile editions, photos.

The contribution to this web portal includes the bequests of Anselm Hüttenbrenner, Josef Wagnes, Karl Böhm, Anna von Buttlar-Stubenberg, and Hans von Zois, as well as the collection of music manuscripts.

Show all entries
Show virtual tour (German)

Contact: Robert Schiller
ub@kug.ac.at

University of Technology Graz

Graz University of Technology (Archduke Johann University) was founded as a School of Technology and as part of Joanneum by Archduke Johann of Austria in 1811. In 1874, the School of Technology became an Academy of Technology. Today’s “old campus” was established as of 1884 and, during the following decades, the “Campus Neue Technik” and “Campus Inffeld” were added. In 1976, the Academy of Technology was finally established as a University. Throughout its history, Graz University of Technology has had a significant impact on the southern and south-eastern part of Europe and, with its 7 faculties and 13,200 students, it continues to be part of an international network today. By fostering lead, projects the university continues to develop its role in cutting-edge research.


TU Graz Archive

Credit: Dietmar Herbst/TU Graz
Credit: Dietmar Herbst/TU Graz

The TU Graz archive, founded in 1996, is your first point of call if you want to find out more about the history of TU Graz and its members. Come to the archive if you are interested in the history of Styrian architecture, are looking for historical images of Styria or want to learn more about your family history. You are welcome at the TU Graz archive any time.

The digitized collections of the archive consist of:

  • TU-Styriaca, a comprehensive collection of photos and slides from the archive (photographs and transparencies documenting Styrian and Austrian architectural history of the 19th and 20th century);
  • Early records of examinations sat and degrees awarded (information on students and graduates of TU Graz between 1826 and 1865);
  • Pictorial and written records of the history of TU Graz;
  • Architectural plans of Eichholzer and contemporaries (selected architectural plans of the architectural practice of Eichholzer and his successor Hodnik collected in the archive);
  • Cimelia (seals, signets, interesting letterheads and letters as well as advertising material and posters).
The Collection Leopold Theyer, the Collection of Photographs Artistic Blacksmithing and the Collection of Slides Thonet Furniture have been contributed to this web portal.

Show all entries
Show virtual tour (German)

Contact: Bernhard A. Reismann
bernhard.reismann@tugraz.at

GrazMuseum
Main entrance Sackstraße

GrazMuseum

The GrazMuseum is the museum of the history and culture of Graz. In its exhibition and collection practice, it is understood as a platform for historical and contemporary urbanist subjects that make us feel like dealing with and perceiving the city. The Collections of the GrazMuseum range from graphic art, paintings, photographs, picture postcards, archival documents to objects, plans as well as sculptures. The GrazMuseum discusses, communicates and lives the city. The GrazMuseum presents temporary exhibitions focusing on social, integrative and contemporary issues and is a popular event location. In the many times prize-winning permanent exhibition about the urban history of Graz, “360 GRAZ | A Story of Graz“, movable exhibits and the vividly presented development of the city enable new perspectives that change the perception of present-day Graz.


Collection of Picture Postcards

Postcard: editor Ludwig Strohschneider Graz. “Uhrturm am Schlossberg“,
                combination print, posted in 1903 (Graz - Freiburg im Breisgau)
Postcard: editor Ludwig Strohschneider Graz. “Uhrturm am Schlossberg“, combination print, posted in 1903 (Graz - Freiburg im Breisgau)

The Collection of Picture Postcards at the GrazMuseum contains around 9,000 objects related to Graz. They show the public space of the city, its streets, alleys, and squares as well as living environments of the past. The collection focuses on the time between the turn of the twentieth century and the 1930s and 40s. From the time around 1900, picture postcards have not only been relevant as images of tourism but were often also the first pictures the residents of Graz had of their own living environment. They served as an orientation aid in a permanently changing city. As objects that can be sent by mail, they likewise provide an insight into communication practices of the past and prove themselves to be multifaceted historical sources. The Picture Postcards Online constitute the contribution of the museum to this web portal.

Show all entries
Show virtual tour (German)

Contact: GrazMuseum
grazmuseum@stadt.graz.at

Archive of the Diocese of Graz-Seckau
Credit: Gerd Neuhold, Sonntagsblatt

Archive of the Diocese of Graz-Seckau

The Archive of the Diocese of Graz-Seckau stores the files and charters of the bishopric and episcopal ordinariate. The items date from the 13th century to the present day. An important additional task is the accession in trust of historical archives and register books of Styrian parishes and their description and appraisal. Currently the registers of 288 parishes and the archives of 234 parishes are in the depots in Graz. The library of the Diocese is affiliated to the archive and contains more than 40,000 books, mainly dating back from before the year 1900. The archive and the library are at the disposal of the diocesan administration and can be used for any scientific research.


Collection of Charters

Charter DAGS II-64a, 1434
Charter DAGS II-64a, 1434

The collection of charters in the archive of the Diocese of Graz-Seckau consists of two series: the charters of the bishopric (= charter series I, 1220–1960) and the charters of the parishes (= charter series II, 1202–1913). The digitized charters of the bishopric are part of the Bistumsarchiv (archive of the bishopric) and property of the bishops of (Graz-)Seckau. The digitized charters of the parishes originate from the Ordinariatsarchiv/Pfarrakten (archive of the episcopal ordinariate/files of the parishes) and their recipient is invariably a Styrian parish.

Show all entries

Contact: Matthias P. Perstling
matthias.perstling@graz-seckau.at

Styrian Provincial Archives

The Styrian Provincial Archives were founded in 1817 by Archduke Johann. They collect and preserve textual and visual sources illustrating the history of the province of Styria. Since 2000 the collections of the archives have been located in the former Carmelite monastery at the Karmeliterplatz in Graz. Here, the objects are conserved, restored and digitized in on-site workshops.


Poster Collection

The Styrian Provincial Archives house a collection of about 30.000 posters from the 19th an 20th century. They are divided into politics, sports, culture and business sections. The collection incorporates posters by the Austrian poster company „Ankünder“ and the cultural collection of the Universalmuseum Joanneum in Graz. In cooperation with the Department of Art History at the University of Graz, a research project examined parts of this collection and prepared the selected posters for integration into this portal.

Show all entries

Contact: Eva Klein
eva.klein@uni-graz.at